Friday 4 September 2015

Thing 15 - Advocacy for Libraries

This is one of my favourite topics!  So where do I start? .......

I hate what is happening to Libraries and Librarians.  I don't understand why the powers that be can't see the importance of Libraries from the day you are born till the day you die. I get so cross when I hear parents say that their baby is too young to look at a book.  I almost want to scream at them "They are never too young".  What do they think board books are for?  It helps with

  • Bonding
  • Hand eye coordination
  • Listening skills
to name just a very few.

There's so much for children in libraries, not only books, but activities, computers, homework help, etc etc etc

Then when you go to college or uni, it's a vital part of college life, help with research skills, Harvard, Information skills, etc etc

They are vital for adults, to give them access to all the books they can't afford to buy, somewhere to take the children so they can learn to lose themselves in the wonderful world of books etc etc

Then when old age takes a hold, it's a place to go for companionship, plus a book can be the best companion! etc etc.

So the first group I joined was "Save Doncaster Libraries".  We held rallies outside the threatened libraries, campaigned to local MP's etc etc.  But the council said "why do we need libraries when you can buy books in Tesco?"  Augh!  So we have gone from 28 Libraries to 3.  Some of the ones closed are now run by volunteers - but that's a whole new concept with huge pitfalls!

During our campaign we were joined by some prominent authors.  Alan Gibbons being the one who really made his voice heard.  He even got us Breakfast TV!!!  He also  began "Campaign for the Book" which I also joined.  He got the backing of many authors & still has as far as I know.

It breaks my heart to see all the libraries closing despite the best effort of so many people.  Professional Librarians are disappearing by the day, and even School libraries are taking a hit.

Where will it all end?  I don't know, it's frightening. Does all this campaigning work?  I hate to say it doesn't seem to be.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    That's a shocking statistic: going from 28 libraries down to just 3. Are there any current campaigns that you are involved with that might be able to make some noise?

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete