Thursday 1 October 2015

Thing 20 - Presentations

Like most people I have done quite a few PowerPoint presentations over the years.  The I discovered Prezi..  Although I have only done a couple through Prezi, I really wish I could get some sort of training on it as I'm sure it does more than I can do with it.

I changed my Harvard Referencing presentation to Prezi last year & made it so much easier to show the students what I wanted to say and made a dull topic a bit more exciting.

I did another one about 3 weeks ago to do with online safety.  It's not a long one, and the students have to do a short test after seeing it.  It is part of an online module which they have to do.  You can access it here.

http://prezi.com/pk-2sy2pmivv/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy&rc=ex0share


From feedback so far, the students have understood it - without me having stood in front of the class presenting it.  I have worried that a couple of bits of it might be too "wordy", but hopefully it is self explanatory.  This time last year I would have presented it in class, but due to staff cuts, we no longer have enough staff to do this & we have had to do it online in our VLE, Blackboard.

I don't think I will use PowerPoint again, but I really do need to find out more about Prezi.  It is so visual and can be broken down nicely to put your point across.

I'm a naturally nervous person who really doesn't like talking in public.  But if I have a PowerPoint or Prezi there, it really makes me feel much more confident.  One bit of advice that I would give is don't put anything in them that you don't understand or can't explain properly.  Try to anticipate any questions, & if there's anything you really don't think you could answer properly, either reword it so you know what you are talking about or leave it out completely.  Being tongue-tied in front of people when giving a presentation is an awful experience, especially if you have written the presentation!!!

As I've said, I'm still learning & I'm sure the above Prezi can be - and eventually will be - improved.

Carol

1 comment:

  1. Hi

    A great example of Prezi in action, well done. You've offered some great tips at the end too, thanks.

    The Rudai23 Team

    ReplyDelete